Contrast Timothy with some poor models:
- Macho Man – Rambo, Dirty Harry
- The Great Pretender – Archie Bunker
- World Class Wimp – Dagwood Bumstead
- Gender Blender – Michael Jackson, Boy George
Let me challenge us with 5 values of manhood (Fatherhood):
- 1. Compassion – Men should put relationship before results. The average father spends less than 2 minutes a day in serious conversation with their kids.
2. Consistency – Men who put character before conformity. An opinion is something you’ll argue about; a conviction is something you’ll die for. Pr. 20:7 says “the righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him.”
3. Cooperation – Men who put synergy before competition. Although the Apostle Paul was a “Superstar” he was always bringing others with him. “I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker, and fellow soldier..” (Phil 2:25)
4. Commitment – Men who put cause before comfort. God isn’t impressed with great starters… He’s impressed with great finishers. “Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action is dead.”(Ja 2:17)
5. Courage – Men who put service before security. Is your commitment to Jesus Christ deep enough to risk anything? “Only those who give away their lives for My sake and for the sake of the Good News will ever know what it means to really live.” (Mk 8:35)
If we as men and fathers can model the above listed 5 values, I believe we will be a blessing to our children and others around us. God is looking to see that in us!
II Chronicles 16:9 “The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole world looking for people that He may show Himself strong on behalf of those whose hearts are perfect toward Him…”